Friday, March 6, 2009

Ten Things... by Maria Shriver

A friend loaned me a copy of Maria Shriver's book Ten Things I Wish I'd Known- Before I Went Out into the Real World. I REALLY like Maria Shriver. I think she is smart, relatable, driven, and just an all-around good role model for women. She had this thing last year called the Women's Conference and most of the key note speakers and some of the break out sessions were available through webcast. I listed to a lot of the sessions and I was very impressed. You can view the recorded versions here.

Back to the book- I enjoyed it and it was a quick read. It is based off the commencement address she gave at the College of the Holy Cross. She gives such advice as "You don't HAVE to do it all", "Stand your ethical ground", "Be willing to fail", and "Don't expect anyone to support you financially". She uses antidotes and stories from her life on how she learned these life lessons.

She says "I wrote this book so that you might be spared. Not from having to learn the lessons I had to learn. No one can spare you that, because learning is experiential, and you have to do it yourself. As a wise person once told me: If I could spare you the pain you're experiencing, I wouldn't--because I wouldn't want to deprive you of the strength and wisdom you'll gain from having gone through it and come out the other side."

The book truly reflects her personality and character and I really enjoyed reading it. I have already learned a lot of these life lessons in the few years since graduation. I don't think reading this book before hand would have saved me those experiences, and I don't think I'd want it to. Experience is the best teacher after all. But it was nice to see I seem to be heading along the right track!

I give it 4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites