Sunday, April 3, 2011

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

This book had been on my list for a LONG time.  I had it on my wish list at paperbackswap.com for years, and had tried to find it at the book store unsuccessfully last summer.  Right before the ski trip though I got up the courage to ask the guy at Barnes and Nobel if they carried it after not being able to locate it on my own.  Wouldn't you know it was in the Young Adult section?  Yeah, I am that pathetic 30 year old that still enjoys books written for teens!

Here's a little summary of the book from the author's website:

According to Anna’s best friend, Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there’s a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there’s something she hasn’t told Frankie–she’s already had her romance, and it was with Frankie’s older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.

TWENTY BOY SUMMER explores what it truly means to love someone, what it means to grieve, and ultimately, how to make the most of every beautiful moment life has to offer.

Of course I was drawn to it because my high school boyfriend was killed in a car crash and I thought I'd be able to relate to Anna.  But even if that hadn't happened to me I still think I would be intrigued by the plot of this book.

The story was really good.  I didn't relate as much as I thought I would to the character of Anna because our stories were very different.  But I did enjoy her and Frankie's story of their summer on Zanzibar Bay.  It wasn't as light as a "beach book" normally is, nor was it too "teenager-ish" for me.  I loved seeing the dynamics between Anna and Frankie, hearing about their adventures with the boys, the stories of long days on the beach, and the emotions Frankie, her family, and Anna have to process over Matt's death.  And the stories of Anna and Frankie as they start to explore more intimate relationships with boys for the first(?) time.

If you are looking for a good summer read, I'd highly reccommend this book.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites