Sunday, August 12, 2012

Empty Promises by Pete Wilson

I got a free copy of this book through BookSneeze.com.  I admit, I'm shallow sometimes and judge a book by it's cover and I loved this cover.  I also loved the extended title:  Empty Promises: The Truth about You, Your Desires, and the Lies You're Believing.

I finally got to read this book on my long trek to San Diego.  Oh, I didn't tell you about that.  I went to San Diego in July.  My flight left 40 minutes late from Raleigh and I was stressing out the entire time about making my connecting flight in Chicago.  I made it just in time.  However, we sat on the plane at the gate for over 2 hours!  They had some kind of technical problem and were trying to get it fixed in order to be cleared for take-off.  They kept saying 15 more minutes.  But finally, they made us get off the plane and told us to stay close to the gate for further instructions.  They switched us to another gate/plane and we finally left Chicago around 4:30 (we were supposed leave at 12:30).  I started my journey my journey just before 10 am in Raleigh and was supposed to get to San Diego around 2:30, but finally made it 5 hours later at 7:30 pm.  Needless to say it gave me a lot of time to read. And I took advantage of it by devouring this book!

I LOVED this book!  The book is all about the things we chase and try to use to fulfill our lives.  The things we put our trust, faith, and hope in.  And how all of those things will only leave you empty.  Only God can fulfill those deepest desires and give you purpose.

There are chapters on Achievement, Approval of Others, Power (or really control), Money, Religion, Beauty, and Chasing The Dream (you know car, house, husband, 2.5 kids and a dog).  I could identify with every chapter.  I have made all of these things idols at some point in time and struggle with keeping them all from taking over control of my heart and mind.

But he doesn't leave it at identifying these idols, he gives you practical tips for keeping them at bay.  He has a chapter on "You are What You Worship" and "Living Close to the Truth".  He talks about you have to be disciplined and keep yourself in God's word and reminding yourself of the truth always.

I seriously can see myself re-reading this book for years to come!

I give it 5 out of 5 stars!

Also on a side not, I was telling some girls in my small group about this book and they asked who it was by. When I told them Pete Wilson and started to explain he was a pastor of a church in Tennessee when one of the girls stopped me and said "Oh my gosh!  He was the pastor of the church I went to in Nashville!"  What a small world!  She said she had read his other book Plan B, but had not heard of this one.  I might just have to check out Plan B because this one was so good!!


No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites