Sunday, September 28, 2008

Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

I don't knit. I tried to learn once in college, but I guess I didn't have the time or patience to learn. But this book wasn't really about knitting. Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs was more about the friendships women form from a common interest. It was about how women support each other through rough times.

Walker and Daughter is the knitting shop in Manhattan owned by Georgia Walker that brings together all the women in the book. Georgia and her 13 year old daughter are dealing with James (Dakota's father) returning to their lives for the first time. Anita, Georgia's best friend, is dealing with learning to date for the first time since her husband's death. There's also re-connecting of old friends and forgiving past wrongs, a long distance marriage and the difficulties that entails, changing life/career paths, pregnancy and baby issues, cancer and divorce as the women support each other through the ups and downs of each other's lives.

I must admit the book did make me want to learn to knit again. But honestly I don't have the time. It also reminded me of my Book Blub girls (RIP Book Blub). I know life is so busy it is hard to keep these groups going. But I think female friendships are so important. This book was a reminder of that.

It was a good book with lots of interesting story lines!

I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I thought my sister read a lot. I think you have her beat :) This is my next book

 
Add to Technorati Favorites