Saturday, December 27, 2008

Love the One You're With by Emily Griffin

Emily Griffin is the author of Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and Baby Proof. I read all of these books and loved them, so I was looking forward to her newest book Love the One You're With. The main character, Ellen, is married to Andy Graham, her college roommate/best friend's brother. They are happily married (some-what newlyweds) until Ellen runs into a love from her past, Leo. Running into Leo brings up many unresolved feelings from their intense relationship. Things get even more complicated when Ellen agrees to move with Andy from New York City to his family's hometown of Atlanta. They settle into the ritzy suburban life with Andy's family (Ellen's BFF sister-in-law and generous mother-in-law) right down the street. But Ellen doesn't like Atlanta. She misses her work, the city, and Leo.

Personally I thought the book was somewhat slow for the first half of the book. But the last 5 chapters more than make up for it. I was screaming at Ellen in the book and squealing at all the twists and turns the story took in the last 50 or so pages.

I found this particular statement in one of the last few chapters to be very poignant:
"...what it all comes down to. Love, not as a surge of passion, but as a choice to commit to something, someone, no matter what obstacles or temptations stand in the way...making that choice, again and again, day in and day out, year after year, says more about love..."

If you can stay with it through the first few slow chapters, it is so worth it in the end.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Jane said...

The statement you mentioned is similar to one I read in the book Golden by Cameron Dokey (it is a retelling of the story of Rapunzel).

"That is what love is. A possibility that becomes a choice. A choice you keep making, over and over. Day after day. Year after year. Time after time."

I often find myself scribbling down quotes when I am reading a book, and this particular statement struck a chord with me. Reading your blog reminded me of it. :-)

 
Add to Technorati Favorites