Sunday, November 28, 2010

Still Life With Husband by Lauren Fox

I hated this book.  But not in a "It's so boring I can't read it" kind of way, but in a "This character is so dumb I want to smack her upside the head" kind of way.  In a "This is the end of the book?  Seriously? You're going to leave me hanging even though I don't even know why I care to know what happens to this stupid character" kind of way.

Emily Ross is married to Kevin- a sweet, really good guy.  Emily and Kevin have a pretty good, comfortable relationship except that Kevin is ready to move to the suburbs and have kids and Emily doesn't want to.  But Kevin is trying to be patient with her.

Then along comes David.  They meet in a coffee shop and flirt and he asks Emily if she would be interested in writing for the paper he works for.  This is about the time you start wanting to smack Emily.  She is 30 years old and acts like a dumb teenager.  She isn't wearing her ring when she meets David and goes out with him a second time without telling him she is married!  Then she finally tells him, but they decide to "just be friends" (yeah right!)

You'll have to read the book to find out the other ridiculous activities that go on.  Will she have an affair with David?  Will Kevin find out?  Will Emily and Kevin stay together?  Will you hate Emily by the end of the book?

It was another one of those cautionary tales that getting what you think you want doesn't always make you happy.  It was realistic, but ugh, Emily...I just did not like her very much.  But for me to have this much passion about a character in a book, you know it had to be pretty good.

I give this one 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites